Surviving in a Male Dominated Household

Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails...

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Totally Twisted Tuesday...No funds for family???

First of all, I'd like to start of this post by thanking all of my readers. I wouldn't keep writing if no one is reading! I appreciate the comments, both on this blog and via e-mail...keep them coming!! Let's keep this blog alive!!

That being said, I had a family meeting on Saturday at the unit. It was very informative.

They said NOT to send baked goods, as most of them get bugs in them by the time they get to the soldiers. Also, if we don't send enough for the whole unit...Dave gets in trouble. And we don't want that, do we?

Also, they suggested that we NOT put yellow ribbons on trees or the star in the window. Why?? Because it makes your home more of a target. Traditionally, these are put up by family of soldiers. Most soldiers are men. Therefore, many of these homes have the wife/children of the soldiers in them...with no man. So its a target to theives. I know, it's horrible that we can't do this...but better safe than sorry.

I've recieved a few e-mails from folks asking when we can send David items. He's still in the states, so he says nothing is necessary yet. We were informed at the meeting that most of the things the guys need, they can purchase at the PX on base when they get to Iraq. I know he will need some things, and I will give you a list of these things when the time comes.

That being said, we (the two other mothers of soldiers in Dave's unit at the meeting and I) decided we'd like to do a family readiness event this summer for every one. Dave's unit has had a lot of deployments over the last year. The problem is, there is no money in the family fund. That's when a lightbulb went on over my head. Everything happens for a reason. I said, "I used to work for Senator Grassley...I can make a call." And I did. We're working on it right now and hopefully we can get some money so that we can have an event for all of the family. I'm considering making a call to Congressman King (he gave me his cell phone number when he found out that Dave was being deployed) to see what he might be able to do as well.

There was a reason I didn't take that job I was offered at Wells Fargo back in 2003. I had to make connections that I would need in the future...just for this occasion.

Wish me luck, hopefully this will all work out and we can get the ball rolling on this event. I informed Dave of this and he said it was "crap" that there was no money for the family, but he seemed excited that I knew someone who would be able to help us. =)

No comments: