Surviving in a Male Dominated Household

Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails...

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Praying for Great Grandpa Bob

On Monday we arrived at the funeral home for the family viewing and prayer before heading to the church. We have jokingly referred to Liam as "Father Liam" as he is always making sure we pray before meals (sometimes more than once).

Knowing that Liam had accepted Great Grandpa Bob was deceased, but having never seen a body, we weren't sure how he was going to react when seeing him. Dave stayed back with the little guys while Liam and I approached the coffin. I told Liam to kneel on the kneeler and I did the same. I turned to Liam and said, "Do you want to pray?" He nodded his head yes. We said the "Our Father". At the end of the prayer, Liam turned to me and said, "I want to say a special prayer for Great Grandpa Bob." I said, "Okay."

We both bowed our heads into our hands. Liam began,
"Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
And if I die, before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
God, please bless Great Grandpa Bob."

And he stood up, made the sign of the cross, and turned out to the crowd. I had tears streaming down my face. He's so little, yet so spiritual. So thoughtful.

Here is a picture of Liam with David and Great Grandpa Bob before David's deployment to Iraq.

"God, please bless Great Grandpa Bob."

No comments: