Surviving in a Male Dominated Household

Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails...

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day...What it's like for a former Army wife

I believed that all I was going to get this Valentine's Day was a new tire. No, really. My van blew a tire last week and rather than a cheap $10-$15 patch, it required a new tire.

So that's what we had decided would be our Valentine's Day present. But I was surprised this morning. My wonderful husband decided to go and get us doughnuts. And he brought home a rose and a chocolate cake for me. The best part? The cake had a heart that said "E-mail me". He knows me.




On days like this, I remember what it was like when he was deployed. The Valentine's Day he was in Iraq, he made sure a dozen roses was sent to my work. He also had his dad obtain a giftcard for a massage for me. While it was a nice gesture, I would have given almost anything for a hug from him that night.

And I remember that. So while most women would scoff at a tire, I'm thankful for it. Because I can give him a hug at the end of the day. And that's worth more than all of the roses in the world.

No comments: